Wednesday, February 24, 2010

THE END. FINAL. Am I smiling?

I think I'm about done, but I will need our fearless leader to check all my work! About this course. . .

What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?

  • My favorite thing was the fish gadget. I want to put it on my computer for my screen saver or desktop or wall art.
  • I already knew that I work better with a partner. I'm glad I have a friend who loves to do stuff on the computer! I needed her to talk me through a few things. Then, like the good teacher she is, I had to go back and do it myself. That worked about 90% of the time.
  • Setting up the blog was interesting. Now I'm signed up for the blog thing from the district (March 24) so I can figure out how to do one on my web page so kids can discuss the books. At least I know a little more about it now.

How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?

  • There are some kinds of things I don't want to learn first hand. I've read and seen TV show about all the evil on the Internet. I know that kids can get into things without meaning to. There were things I didn't want to see or know that I got to see. I saw things by clicking NEXT BLOG that broke my heart. So how has this affected my lifelong learning goals? I want to preach Internet safety to everyone, all the time. I DO want to keep apprised of the up & coming things out there, but I'd rather be shown those that are appropriate for elementary than explore all the world out there. It scares me!

Were there any take-aways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?

  • I've never blogged before. I don't 'journal' except for an occasional prayer journal. I hate to write. Always have. So, I'm taking away the verification that writing on the Internet--blogging-- is just as awful for me as writing on paper! I guess I'm not surprised, but I really don't want to read anyone else's blog either. When I do a google search about son's movie, there are all these blog entries. It's not that I don't want to hear what the "common man" is saying, but I guess I really don't. Am I an awful person???

  • I'm surprised that so many people have nothing better to do that to blog about the mundane things of life. I feel sorry that they don't have more contact with living breathing people. BUT, it is a great tool for long distance communication! Wish is was available for UNT group projects

What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?

  • I will guess I agree with Debe that more feedback would be welcomed. I know Kiera reads our stuff (she has to) and on one hand, I'm glad no ones else reads mine (except Debe), but it would be nice if 1 or 2 others commented on the blogs. I've tried to go in a couple of times a week and comment on somebody's blog - even when Kiera didn't tell us to. It was helpful when we'd get a message in the email (which we see all day long) that someone was having a problem with something. It's nice to know others needed extra help! And when then those who COULD do it chimed in, I knew who to contact to get help.

  • The format is fine. I did online masters from UNT, so this concept is not new to me. And I had to PAY for the UNT one. And will be paying right up into the grave. I'm glad we had lots of time to do it and not a 2-3 week course.

And last but not least… If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you again chose to participate?

I probably will. Bribes always help. Will I enjoy it? I don't know. I've taken the FLIP VIDEO class 2.5 times and still aren't any good at it. I think I'm becoming technically challenged. Yes, I need to challenge to keep my old brain going.

3 comments:

  1. It looks great, friend! I love my fish, too. Glad we took this little trip together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been, far and away, your best and most honest post. I just wish you had been smiling when you wrote it! You didn't have to rush through it, my dear, the deadline is months away. I wanted it that way so everyone could "play", but I guess I messed up...very little playing, from what I've read.

    Glad you did get something out of it - I'm looking forward to seeing you set up a book blog. It doesn't have to be through School Center, either, it can be on Blogspot or Edublogs or any of a thousand other sites - just do what feels comfortable to you.

    And, yay to you for commenting on other's blogs. I try to put a post a day up on someone's site, just to let them know I read them as they along.

    And, you can turn off the notification of all the HEB23 emails you get each day...just go into the HEB23 helpdesk and at the bottom of a discussion post, turn off the option to receive copies in your email. I had to...mine was being overrun in the beginning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post and your fish! I think you do a great job!

    ReplyDelete