Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Library 2.0 - It's many things to many people.

Yes, it scares me. I'm a people person. Touch something person. I know kids and adults who don't have much human contact because you can do everything on the web. In 50 years (or less) you won't need us. We'll be "virtual." Hope I'm skinny. But I do love online catalogs and search engines like NetTrekker that help us teach the kids how to find things.

I do believe, as elementary librarians, it affects us differently. Kids still need to learn about books, how to find something without a "tag" and what to do when there is no technology due to a natural disaster.

After 7 years as librarian, I can not count the times the internet was down or the computers just wouldn't work. I have been without power for up to 72 hours - no cell, no A/C, no heat (no hot water!) and NO computer or TV. I was able to read and play board games with my kids by the light of the fire and/or rechargable lantern-charged by car battery!

So, I'm learning and absorbing as much as my little red-headed brain can!

No comments:

Post a Comment